Know Idea Forum
An Educational Organization

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lacrosse Forum Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Know Idea Forum Forum Index -> Lacrosse Forum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Lacrosse Forum Discussion Reply with quote

Discussions via e-mail with more than a handful of people are awful. Too many e-mails. Similarly, I think it's a bad idea to have these discussions on other lacrosse forums. So, let's discuss whatever we want to discuss about this Lacrosse Forum/Website within this forum within this thread.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: e-Mail - December 20, 2017 Reply with quote

This post is a little long but it's the first with a lot of ground to cover and we need to start somewhere.

Discussions
Discussions via e-mail with more than a handful of people are awful. Too many e-mails. Similarly, I think it's a bad idea to have these discussions on other lacrosse forums. So, let's discuss whatever we want to discuss about this Lacrosse Forum/Website within this forum within this thread. You'll need to register as a user to contribute to the discussion but it's quick and easy, I don't spam, etc.

Imperfect
We can change the logo and numerous other things with the website/forum to make the website/forum look substantially better. With this said, at least in the beginning, this website will not be exclusively dedicated to our Lacrosse Forum. If this was a business venture, I'd proceed differently. But this is not. This is a currently-35-people-who-are-strangely-obsessed-with-lacrosse-and-may-be-the-only-people-who-ever-use-this-website venture. For this reason, everything I'm presenting is cost-free and relatively easy. If down the road we have reason to improve our website/forum, we can. But, for now, cost-free and relatively easy. So, with this said...

Lacrosse Forum
It's easy enough for me to create Forum Headings that mirror some of the Lacrosse Forums we enjoy. I've already created the Fantasy NCAA Lacrosse heading and transferred a bunch of the information (that I originally created) into the heading. The 2018 stuff is still TBD but you can see all the previous years. (http://www.knowidea.org/forum/index.php) We'd create more headings (some examples directly below and you'll notice that Fantasy Lacrosse is one of them) and then it would be up to users to post within each heading.

LACROSSE
Men's - Division I
Men's - Division II
Men's - Division III
Men's - MCLA
Men's - Other Collegiate
Men's - Pro and International
Women's Lacrosse
Women's WCLA
Boys' High School Lacrosse
Girls' High School Lacrosse
Boys' & Girls' Youth Lacrosse
General Lacrosse Forum

OTHER LACROSSE
Coaching Lacrosse
Lacrosse Rules & Equipment
Fantasy Lacrosse
Member Lounge
The Water Cooler

A future discussion is how we get people to come to and use our forum but let's discuss this later. Let's build it and have some level of confidence that we can do things to encourage people to come as well as other forums may do things to encourage people to leave.

Non-Forum Functionality
We're going to miss non-Forum stuff, too. The scores, polls, schedules, all-americans, NCAA Tournament, etc. Other websites have this information. It's just not all in one place like our favorite lacrosse website had it. So, we could have links all in one place (i.e. within our website/forum) to the websites that have this information. When we click the link, we'd be going to another website. But for the user, a click is a click and Victor H.S.'s schedule is Victor H.S.'s schedule. i.e. I don't think we lose anything by having people go to a different website. Keep in mind, this isn't a business venture. So for D1 Men, a link to Inside Lacrosse: http://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/di/teams/18. For HS Boys, a link to Max Prep: http://ow.ly/sb4R30hltj1. etc. By doing this, we would cover a *lot* of the information that populates our favorites lacrosse websites.

Other Non-Forum Functionality
Job Openings - We could easily do Job Openings. We'd have four buckets within our Forum: Men's College, Women's College, Boys' HS, Girls' HS. And people would post the job openings within each of these 4 buckets.
Recruits -We could do Recruits using a similar, though not the same, system. Each young man/woman would need to post their info twice, once within a HS bucket and once again within a College bucket but... It's a copy and paste. And, heck, if they want to share their exciting news, the kids/parents should be able to do a Copy and Paste.
State Champions - For some of the stuff, like HS State Champions, nobody has this all in one place. i.e. We can't easily link to it. So, we'd copy and paste this from the relevant website and give the relevant website credit for this information as well as provide a link to their website. This is standard operating procedure on the internet to avoid copyright issues. It would look something like this: http://www.knowidea.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4387.

Closing
And, there's bits and pieces more but that's the gist. Going forward, LaxPower will not be the same. But we can create something that will similarly fulfill our needs. More than this, I think we can improve on some of the LaxPower stuff... But that's a different discussion. Let's get on first base first. (Sorry for the baseball metaphor but couldn't think of a comparable lacrosse one. Let's get sticks before we get helmets? It's not the same.) Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

Matnum PI
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Update - December 21, 2017 Reply with quote

Update - December 21, 2017

Four things:

1. e-Mails - If you'd prefer not to receive e-mails and, instead, to follow this discussion within our current forum, please click unsubscribe at the bottom of the e-mail.
2. Feedback - If you'd prefer to give feedback to me alone, as opposed to posting it within our current forum, simply click "Reply" on the e-mail and tell me what you think. All feedback is 100% anonymous until I'm told differently.
3. Domain Names and Websites - Thus far, I've received one piece of feedback (from McApple who wants to be anonymous) that I think others will agree with: that we need a dedicated domain name and website.
a. Domain Name: I've been knocking around potential domain names. (Feel free to do the same: GoDaddy) and I sent an e-mail to a lacrosse club that has a domain name that I like very much. We have many options. To be continued.
b. Website:
i. McApple has a Lacrosse website that he hasn't touched in several years.
ii. I have several websites, two that are great looking and have cool functionality, that are similarly dusty and I think may be easily converted to our needs.
iii. We can start from scratch and relatively easily and inexpensively create a professional website that will meet our needs and expectations.
iv. Bottomline, we have numerous options. More information coming about these options. To be continued.
4. Give Feedback - Give feedback! So we know which point on the horizon we're moving towards. Give Feedback!

Thanks,
Matnum

Last edited by admin on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Update - December 25, 2017 Reply with quote

An update. Five things:

1. Domain Name - We contacted a gentleman about a domain name he owns and he said he doesn't want to sell it but he's open to giving it to us. Our getting his domain name will involve giving his lacrosse club giving credit on our website/forum for donating the domain name to us or something similar but that's about it. When we get further along, he said he'd happily pass the domain name over. We should be confident that when the time comes, we have several good choices. (For obvious and less obvious reasons, I don't want to share details of the domain name yet.)
2. Website/Forum - We looked at two of my old websites, they're great looking, and... We should create a new website/forum from scratch. 10-15 years ago, when I created these websites, they were awesome. Today, for a fraction of a fraction of the price, we can create something that specifically meets our needs, that will be as good, if not better, looking, and will have better functionality for both the short- and long-term. One of the people in our group, McApple, has an old website that he wants to look over. Otherwise, we'll be creating a brand new website/forum. We looked into the technology and aesthetics which would be most appropriate for our needs as well as the costs involved and we're confident that we can create something that we'll be more than pleased with. More details to come.
3. Site Map - We started creating a site map for the website. (i.e. Mapping what pages would be within the website, how would the pages link to each other, etc.) and we have an opportunity to make an interesting website. In other words, there is no reason why we need to limit ourselves in terms of what we want to create.
4. Who We Are - At some point, we will need to define who we are. We can be a lifeboat for other lacrosse websites/forums that are sinking and/or underperforming. But we will need to better define ourselves than this. i.e. We need to be more than a lifeboat.
5. Feedback - Give feedback.

Thanks,
Matnum
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Lacrosse Forum - January 11, 2018 Reply with quote

21 days until the first game of the D1 NCAA season and, ironically, ACTIVE is dormant. I asked for help with the Fantasy Lacrosse threads and, besides an overly gracious "how can we help" reply, I've received no follow-up. My goal is to have a lifeboat ready within 21 days.

Domain Name - I sent an e-mail to the lacrosse club/guy with a good domain name to transfer the name to us. Hopefully that goes smoothly. If not, we have a back-up.
Website - The plan is to create a website with a WordPress Blog interface as well as a phpBB Forum. This platform will allow us to efficiently house lots of lacrosse content (e.g. NCAA and HS schedules, scores, rankings, recruits, etc.) as well as facilitate discussions about each.
Thoughts of Who We'll Be - My thought is, the gist of our website will be "For the Fan. By the Fan." (I'd argue that LaxPower is already this but, based on our current situation, this obviously isn't 100% true.) The idea being that our website/forum would be an asset within the lacrosse community that is owned and operated by the lacrosse community. Along these lines, I have a 501c3/Not-for-Profit Educational Organization that is the umbrella organization for several educational programs as well as my youth soccer and lacrosse leagues. I think we should house this website/forum within this Not-for-Profit. (At some point, we could always make a 5013 specifically for this entity but I think to do it now would be premature.) This way, our website/forum will never be owned by anyone. And while our selling the website/forum wouldn't be erased, having it within a 501c3, our selling the website/forum would be deterred.
A Bit of an Aside - With this in mind, I think having something saying "The X.com domain name was donated by X" will work nicely. It'll be a good example of "For the Fan. By the Fan."

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,
Matnum PI
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Lacrosse Forum - January 12, 2018 Reply with quote

Update: The domain name that was offered to us is still being offered to us but the owner of the domain name wants to maintain ownership of it. Even if we create legal documents to protect ourselves, this is a risky proposition. I believe that anyone who has the power to direct our traffic elsewhere has too much power. But I'm just one vote. I do think there's a way to leverage this man's offer without putting the whole enchilada at risk. But we still need a domain name. Feel free to help: https://www.godaddy.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Know Idea Forum Forum Index -> Lacrosse Forum Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: